About Me

My photo
ordinary to some and extraordinary to others.. Foresighted. Get easily worried. Quite talkative. Very friendly. Stylish and fashionable. Soft spoken and polite. Warm and considerate towards people. Great sense of humor. Quite sensitive. Star in the crowd. Active and visionary thinker. Kind and generous. Loyal lover. Love to debate. Love the finer things of life.

Friday, January 14, 2011

What if?

As I was lying in bed, another sleepless night thinking about my brother's wedding which will take place in less than four months, I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if I would have accepted one of the marriage proposals I had received over the years.

The first proposal came when I was 17 years old and just finished my secondary school. Some woman saw me at a wedding of my relatives' and asked my grandmother if I would like to be married off to his son. My father said no, obviously because I was going to further my study. A couple of months later I went to college. I didn't even know what that guy looks like.

The second one came when I was 20 years old. My first boyfriend, Hubert Humphrey (I know!) was 11 years older than me and after 4 months together he asked me to marry him. I almost said yes but there was a catch. I have to move to Bintulu, Sarawak his hometown and because his work also based him there. I said no because I was ready to commit to him, he would have been a perfect husband but I wasn't ready to leave my family and live across the sea in Borneo. We broke up and few months later he got married to one of his ex-girlfriend.

After that, I met a little Egyptian man who was also an Australian. I was 23 years old. One thing led to another and he offered me a job in Cherating where I have to assist his Australian manager setting up a resort. Salary was good and after 4 months, out of the blue he asked me to marry him over a dinner. I was shocked since I knew he really liked me but I didn't expect him to make me his fourth wife! Yes, he have three wives and 7 sons with his oldest son just two years younger than me. I would have been the last woman to close his quota. I didn't answer him but the next day I emailed my resignation letter and left to Kuala Lumpur the same day. Sam, as I fondly knew him of died two years later in his sleep. He was 44 years old at the time of his death.

Another weird marriage proposal I had was from a brain surgeon few years ago. He is like me, an Indian decent and was in his late 30's. I met him over for coffee because he was pestering my girlfriend to introduce me to him. Just that one coffee, when he proposed I quickly realized this doctor have some problem with his brain. I avoided him after that and never see him again.

My last boyfriend was 6 years younger than me, he was adorable but possessive and we had love-hate relationship for over a year until he proposed that we get married. I said yes, without knowing the reason. Probably I was turning 30 years old and the thought of not being married yet actually prompted me to say yes. He gave me a ring and we planned to have a simple wedding in few months time. Both of our family agreed to our decision but I was still in the dark of becoming his wife. Then he did the unthinkable, he left to St. Petersburg and then he took up a job in Dubai for a year. Taking it as a sign that maybe we are not suppose to get married yet, I broke up with him via Skype a year later.

It has been less than a year now since any new marriage proposals. Come to think of it, what would have happened if I did get married to one of the above? I could have been an inexperience depressed housewife or young wife with good life in Sarawak or young rich widow with 7 stepsons hating my guts or a doctor's wife with mental problem or the possibility of an unhappy marriage with a young husband. It could have been worse or it could have been better.

It is no use to look back at the past now but these experiences gave me a little something to think about. I don't think of marriage like I used to before, it is not an agenda in my life now but it will be an option I have to consider thoroughly if it cross my life again. However, I know I will tie the knot because I love the man I am with. Never say never and who knows the next one might have a few surprises in it!

No comments: